12 Top Choices for the Best Nursery Rocking Chair
Some of the best memories I have formed my little babies is rocking them to sleep. We spent hours in our rocking chair, nursing and singing. Babies love the gentle rocking motion; it is soothing and calming. While you can get your child back to sleep lying in bed or sitting on the couch, a comfortable upholstery rocking chair gives you the perfect place to sway your child back to sleep.
The best nursery rocking chair is a significant investment. You won’t have to purchase more than one because you can use it for all of your future children. There are a lot of options on the market. You don’t want to make the wrong choice because all of those hours you spend putting your little baby back to sleep won’t be as comfortable as it could be.
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Nursery Rocking Chair
There are dozens of choices for a nursery rocking chair. You want to make sure you get all of the necessary qualities for your money. Here is what you should consider before purchase.
- Comfort: Can you imagine rocking your teething baby all night long in a chair that isn’t even close to comfortable? You need to make sure you are comfortable sitting in the chair. Are the cushions plush enough? Are the arms covered with fabric? Also, the seat should be wide enough not to feel as if it’s suffocating your hips. Comfort, without a doubt, is the top factor. I would highly suggest that you find the chairs you are considering and sit in them beforehand.
- Breastfeeding Friendly: Breastfeeding babies spend a lot of time at the breast, especially the first few months of their lives. Most babies don’t sleep through the night for at least the first six months of their lives, so you can expect to spend a lot of time in the nursery rocking chair while breastfeeding. I prefer a wide rocking chair with padded armrests. Also, it is best if the fabric is easy to clean and stain resistant.
- Easy to Get Out: Transferring a sleeping baby from your arms to their bed requires ninja-like skills. You have to maneuver yourself out of the chair and lay them down without disturbing their delicate sleep. If the chair takes an extraordinary effort to get out, you aren’t going to be the ninja you wanted.
- Safety: As with any product for your baby, you want to make sure it is safe to use. Some styles are known to pinch fingers, the last thing you want for your little baby. Some new gliders have a stop-lock mechanism that stops it from rocking when not in use. The manufacturers encase all of the gears, so fingers are totally safe!
If you want a reclining, rocking chair, you don’t want one that will recline if your shift your body weight. Instead, you want one that has an easy to reach button or lever. It wouldn’t be great if you accidentally moved your weight and it popped up unexpectedly!
- Durability: Ideally, your rocking chair will last for years to come. Parents shouldn’t have to purchase more than one, even if they have multiple children. It is worth the extra money to buy a rocking chair that will last.
- Easy to Clean: Babies are notoriously messy, no matter where they go. Your adorable nursery rocking chair is no exception to this rule. Your sweet child is likely to spit up a few hundred times all over the arm rest. In your sleepless haze, you might spill a bottle on the chair or drop your water bottle down the side. You don’t want fabric that holds stains well or ‘s hard to clean. Most rocking chairs aren’t machine washable, although it is great when you can remove the covers to do so. The material should be easy to spot clean.
Choices for the Best Nursery Rocking Chair
One of the best choices is the Windsor Glider, and Ottoman featured in white with gray cushions. It is a top-seller with awesome reviews by parents. There is generous seating room for the parent. Both of the arms are padded, and there are storage pockets. You can keep water bottles or books in the pocket for those long hours in the chair. I always kept a few snacks as well!
The glider comes with a matching ottoman. It has a white finish and gray cushions. I love this color combination because it is gender neutral and will match most nurseries. Parents can remove all of the cushions for easy spot cleaning. So, if you spill a bottle or drink, you don’t have to fret that it will cause unsightly stains.
Parents rave about the comfort offered by the Windsor. There is plenty of thick padding. For safety, Windsor enclosed all of the metal bearings. It glides quietly and smoothly, with no risk of pinching fingers. Parents also love that the assembly is easy, and it is an affordable choice for most families.
The Windsor glider weighs 48 pounds and measures 24.8 inches long x 25.8 inches wide x 39.5 inches high. It offers a weight capacity of 210lbs. Made in the USA, you will love the quality, durability, and comfort provided by Windsor.
Stork Craft Hoop Glider and Ottoman Set
The Stork Craft Glider is an affordable and comfortable choice for a rocking chair. It comes in multiple different colors such as a light beige with dark wood. You could find one of the offerings that will match your nursery. The Stork is loved because it offers generous seating room with padded arms and a storage pocket.
Reasons to Purchase the Stork Craft Hoop Glider
- You get the ottoman included, allowing you to put up your feet when rocking your baby to sleep or while nursing.
- Stork Craft enclosed all of the metal ball bearings, so it glides smoothly but also safely.
- Both arms are thickly padded and feature two side pockets. You can keep books or whatever you want to them. Padded armrests are necessary to feed your baby comfortably.
- The roomy seat measures 20 inches wide, giving you plenty of space to get comfortable while feeding your baby.
- Stork Craft made the cushions with soft polyester, a fantastic choice. It is comfortable, but durability, and it will support your body as you sit for hours with your baby.
- It only takes one person to assemble the chair, but remember pregnant women shouldn’t lift very much! The chair does weigh 44 pounds.
Just like with any other item, there are a few negatives to consider. The biggest one is that it is a spot clean only chair. You can’t remove these cushions to clean it fully. Also, it doesn’t recline, but it does come with an ottoman. Some consider that a fair trade!
You can feel good about including the Stork in your nursery. It is JPMA certified, meaning it is safe and durable for parents. Parents will love that it is economically priced with great reviews. Even if you have a smaller budget, you should be able to purchase this glider. The functional design makes it one of the best nursery rocking chairs.
Baby Relax Mikayla Upholstered Swivel Gliding Recliner
Parents who have a larger budget to spend on their nursery rocking chair should consider the luxurious Baby Relax Mikayla. This glider provides parents with endless hours of comfort. It is a recliner, which is such an important feature during those long nights when your baby doesn’t want to be put down.
The Mikayla stands out because it swivels as well as glides. I love a swiveling chair; it creates a different, calming motion for your child. You will also notice the classy, elegant design of the Mikayla with button tufting on the backrest and white trim. It will match most nurseries and stand out as a show piece. Let’s look at the other reasons why it is so highly rated.
- It is a versatile rocking chair. It rocks, glides, and reclines in either a total recline or a semi-recline. You aren’t limited, so you can find a comfortable position for your baby.
- For safety and a smooth glide, Baby Relax enclosed all of the metal ball bearings.
- On those long nights, you will be comfortable. It offers a seat that has more support than average with a spring core filled with foam. It supports your body the way you would want.
- To bring the leg up, there is a built-in, easy pull mechanism.
- Reviewers state that it is an excellent choice for tall parents measuring 41.75 inches long x 30 inches wide x 37 inches high.
You also need to know a few of the negatives. While I love the micro suede fabric for its comfort factor, cleaning is quite a challenge. Stains show very quickly, even if it is just water. Also, the recliner is easy to assemble, but it is one of the heaviest choices on the list, weighing 103 pounds! There is no way a pregnant mama should lift or try to assemble it alone.
Parents can purchase the Mikayla in a variety of choices to match your nursery best. If you have the budget to spend, the Mikayla is a stylish and versatile choice. With three different ways to use the chair, you will find something your baby likes to make him fall back to sleep quicker than ever before!
Thomasville Kids Grand Royale Upholstered Swivel Glider and Ottoman
If you don’t like the look of a classic baby glider, the Thomasville Kids Grand Royale is a versatile piece of furniture that you can later put in your living room and use it as a regular chair. This chair doesn’t look like a typical baby glider, and a lot of parents prefer baby gear that doesn’t look like it came out of a child’s catalog.
Parents love the glider created by Thomasville. It offers parents one of the widest and deepest seats on the market today. The glide is smooth, soft and quiet because the metal ball bearings are totally enclosed. Here are some of the great features to consider.
- The frame is made with high-quality, hardwood.
- The cushions are made with soft and luxurious microfiber. 100% microfiber is easy to clean; you just have to spot clean it if you happen to spill liquids on it. Microfiber is also comfortable and soft to the touch.
- The seat dimensions are 20.5 inches high x 21.5 inches wide x 23 inches deep, a great size! You will be able to find a comfortable position while breastfeeding or reading a story to your baby.
- All of the metal ball bearings are enclosed, so the glide is smooth and quiet.
- The glider will last you for years to come, with hardwood, sturdy frame. It has an impressive 300-pound weight limit.
- The dimensions of the chair are 37 inches high x 35 inches wide x 38 inches deep. The ottoman dimensions are 15 inches high x 18 inches wide x 20 inches deep.
One thing to note is that the ottoman doesn’t glide; it is stationary. You may not like this feature because the chair doesn’t recline, so you won’t be able to rock or move with your feet up. Also, the Grand Royale is one of the heavier choices on the list, weighing 108 pounds!
Despite the two negatives, the Grand Royale is one of the best options for a nursery rocking chair and highly rated by parents. It is durable, comfortable, and nicely designed. Yu can use it for years to come, even once your child is too old to be rocked to sleep!
Naomi Home Deluxe Multi-Position Sleigh Glider and Ottoman Set
The next choice for the best nursery rocking chair is the Naomi Home Deluxe Glider and Ottoman Set. They crafted this gorgeous chair from solid wood, with tons of extra, soft padding. The style is gender neutral and able to match more nurseries. Best of all, Naomi Home priced the glider under $200, making it a more affordable choice for parents.
Important Product Highlights for the Naomi Home Glider and Ottoman
- Both of the armrests are padded, so you can find a comfortable position while feeding your baby.
- There are pockets on each of the arms for easy storage. I always love to store an extra pacifier in my pockets. They seem to disappear in the middle of the night when you need them the most.
- Both the ottoman and rocker can glide, and they lock into several different positions. It is an important safety feature that prevents your child from pinching their finger if they try to play with the rocker.
- All of the steel ball bearings are enclosed. Naomi Home makes sure their glider is as quiet as can be and has a smooth glide. There won’t be any loud squeaks or noises.
- For optimal comfort, the Naomi was created with a very high back and a wide seat. Reviewers who are tall have noted that it is a highly comfortable choice. It can be hard for taller people to find the right chair because most are designed for shorter moms in mind!
- This chair also reclines, and you can lock it into the reclining position.
You are likely to love the Naomi Home Deluxe Glider really. If you are a parent who is taller than average, you should put it on your short list of contenders. Also, it can recline, a great feature for those long nights. Also, the chair is 30 inches wide, ten inches wider than other choices on the list. I love a wide chair that offers plenty of space to find the perfect position. It is a reasonable price, and you get a lovely nursery rocking chair.
DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider with Bonus Ottoman
The next choice for a nursery rocking chair is by DaVinci. It is made with 100% soft and durable, heathered polyester fabric. DaVinci created the seat to be an all-purpose glider, thoughtfully designed to meet mom’s and baby’s needs during the first year of life. Later, you can transition this chair to other parts of your home because it doesn’t resemble a baby product.
It offers a smooth and gentle gliding motion. Parents can swivel the chair in a complete 360-degree circle. DaVinci included a bonus upholstered ottoman that matches the chair. The ottoman is stationary, so you won’t be able to keep your feet up as your rock or glide. For your comfort, there is an extra lower back support included. A lumbar pillow is a fantastic feature, especially on those long nights spent sleeping in the chair with a child having a growth spurt!
The Olive Swivel Glider is a huge chair. It weighs 109 pounds and measures 41 inches x 29 inches x 33 inches. However, it does offer a wider seat than most choices on the list. If you like to have space to wiggle your butt and find a comfortable spot, you will love this glider.
Baby Relax Double Rocking Chair
Parents with more than one child know that aren’t often left alone. I am a huge fan of the Baby Relax Double Rocking Chair because it is wider than your average rocker. You can relax in comfort, or you can share the seat with other little humans in your life.
As our family has grown, rocking time is no longer just for baby. It is a time for siblings to come over and enjoy a story with their newest brother or sister. We can all curl up together and enjoy a short story as baby drifts off to sleep in mama’s arms. The Baby Relax Double allows parents the opportunity to do both at the same time.
Reasons to Buy the Baby Relax Double Rocking Chair
- The chair is made with a solid wood rocker foot and sturdy construction. There is no doubt that it will last for years to come.
- The seat cushions are deeply padded, along with the back, creating a plush and comfortable chair for rocking your baby.
- This chair is another great choice for parents who are taller than average.
- It is made of 100% polyester and has two-tone welting, giving the rocker a classic look. Microfiber is soft to the touch, a favorite choice by parents.
- To keep the chair looking beautiful and clean, all you have to do is wipe it down with a damp, washcloth.
The Double Rocker meets all US federal safety guidelines, so you can feel confident using it with your child. This is an impressive nursery rocking chair with an assembled width of 41.75 inches. The product dimensions are 41.75 inches x 35.5 inches x 37.25 inches. You should make sure it will fit into your nursery since it is such a large chair.
If you want to have more space, there is no better choice than the Baby Relax Double Rocker. You can also purchase an ottoman separately if you want to keep your feet up.
Babyletto Madison Swivel Glider
You may have never heard of Babyletto; they are a newer brand on the market right now. However, they impress parents left and right with their high-quality products. Their Madison Glider came out in 2015, and I is rapidly growing in popularity among new parents. If you prefer a modern design and want to extend this design into your child’s nursery, the Babyletto Madison is a fantastic choice.
Reasons to Purchase the Madison Swivel Glider by Babyletto
- It is a swivel glider rather than a classic rocker or glider. You are able to turn side to side rather than the traditional rocking motion. This could be a positive or negative depending on the parent and baby!
- The chair is made of 100% microsuede, so it is soft and has a luxurious feel. It is naturally water resistant and stain resistant, but it is a harder fabric to clean if you do get it dirty.
- Babyletto creates their Madison in multiple colors, so you can find something to match your nursery.
- Parents can purchase the matching ottoman separately.
- Babyletto used absolutely no formaldehyde and PBDEs to create the seat.
- The seat measures 21 inches wide and 18 inches deep, one of the more narrow choices on our list.
Parents may or may not like the fact that this seat doesn’t recline, and it doesn’t rock. It is an unusual, unique choice for parents. When you put this chair in your nursery, you are sure to impress. The shape and design are unique, unlike other options on our list.
The Babyletto Madison is not the cheapest option on the list. It is closer to $300, making it a choice that not every parent can afford. However, if you have the budget to be able to afford the Madison, it is a smaller sized glider. If you have a smaller bedroom or nursery, it is an excellent choice. Later, you could use it as a reading chair in a study or in a reading nook for your child.
Stork Craft Tuscany Glider and Ottoman
Stork Craft makes another choice for the best nursery rocking chair. If you liked the Stork Craft Hoop Glider, you are going to love their Tuscany Glider. It is highly rated by parents, receiving a 4.5 out of 5 stars and over 400 reviews!
The main differences between the Tuscany Glider and Hoop Glider are the comfort level. It has a different designed back. It offers a higher top back that is a square rather than a rounded back. The Tuscany also has more padding and support than the Hoop.
Let’s take a look at the other reasons why the Tuscany Glider is so highly rated.
- All of the metal, ball bearings are enclosed for a quiet and smooth glide. You don’t have to worry about your baby getting his fingers pinched because everything is 100% enclosed for safety.
- Stork Craft generously padded the arms of the chair, and each side offers a pocket on the arm.
- To keep the chair clean, you will have to spot clean the back and seat cushions. Spot cleaning, while not being as easier as machine washing, gives you a way to keep the chair looking as fresh as possible. Babies do cause stains, whether it is from their bottles leaking or spit up stains.
- The chair is generously spacious and comfortable. They used microfiber to cover the seats, creating a soft and comfortable place to sit while rocking your baby. There are lumbar support pillows, giving your back more support on those long nights.
- You can purchase the Tuscany Glider in a variety of colors, so there will be something that matches your baby’s nursery.
- The Tuscany measures 29 inches long x 35 inches wide x 37.5 inches tall. You will note, if you compare these measurements to the Hoop Glider, the seat is more full. You will be able to find a comfy position much easier.
The Tuscany is more expensive than the Hoop Glider but for a good reason. They took all of the positives of the Hoop and added more space and comfort. If you have the extra money to spend, you would love the Tuscany. With a wider seat, taller back, and more lumbar support, those long nights are going to be so much easier than ever before!
Baby Relax The Mackenzie Microfiber Plush Nursery Rocker Chair
Maybe, you couldn’t afford the Baby Relax Mikayla, but you wanted one of their fabulous rocking chairs. If so, the Mackenzie is a cheaper option. It is a gentle rocker that gets your baby back to sleep easily but with style and trendiness. It resembles a recliner rather than a traditional rocking chair, bringing style to your nursery.
Reasons to Purchase the Baby Relax Mackenzie
- It is upholstered with soft to the touch microfiber in a gray fabric. It is the perfect choice for snuggling with your baby.
- Once your baby is older, you can bring this rocker into the living room with no problem. It doesn’t look like something that has to be in a nursery.
- The Mackenzie has thickly padded, seat cushions and offers lumbar support for those long nights spent in the chair.
- Baby Relax crafted the rocker out of solid, sturdy wood, so you don’t have to worry. This chair will last for years to come and through multiple children.
- The seat is 24 inches wide, making it a middle of the road choice. It isn’t too narrow, but It isn’t the widest choice on the market.
- The chair weighs 54 pounds; it is heavy but lighter than a few other choices on the list!
- It is easy for parents to assemble the chair, and it can be done by one person
The obvious negative to the Mackenzie is that it doesn’t recline. You can opt to purchase a separate, matching ottoman if you think you need to keep your feet up. I would highly recommend it; long nights are extremely uncomfortable if your feet aren’t up. However, the ottoman isn’t a glider, so you aren’t able to rock with your feet up.
Despite the negative, the Mackenzie scores high with parents. It is a comfortable, durable and easy to assemble nursery rocking chair. For a glider that costs less than $300, it is an excellent choice for parents who don’t want to break the bank.
Delta Children Upholstered Glider
Our next choice for the best nursery rocking chair is by Delta Children. It is a fully upholstered chair that has a gentle swivel and gliding mechanism. For long lasting comfort, there is a lot of padding on the arms and back. You will be comfortable for hours while you feed or relax with your baby. Unlike other choices, the Delta Children Glider swivels and glides with hidden metal gliding mechanisms. The movements are gentle and quiet, so you won’t disturb your child as you get them to sleep.
Delta Children upholstered the entire chair and have a matching, wrap around skirt. You can match it to any nursery. The skirt hides all of the mechanisms, so your child won’t be tempted to touch the bearings. You don’t want their little fingers to get pinched. The seat measures 20.5 inches wide, which is on the narrow side, and the cushion is 5.5 inches wide.
There are four different colors that parents get to select from when making their final choice. Some parents noted that assembly took a bit of work to get everything together. However, it shouldn’t stop you from giving this chair a try. If you prefer to have a rocker that doesn’t resemble a child’s glider, you will love the Delta Children Glider.
Hudson Wingback Rocking Chair by Baby Relax
The last choice on our list for the best nursery rocking chair is also by Baby Relax. It is a classic design with a few modern touches like contrasting welt details along the sides and seat cushions. The Hudson is a super comfortable, classic wingback chair that will look fantastic in your nursery. You will love all of the time you get to spend with your baby in the Hudson.
Reasons why the Hudson Wingback is a Fantastic Choice
- Both of the arms are thickly padded and feature shaped arms.
- Baby Relax created the Hudson with durable, solid wood that has an espresso finish. Using solid wood gives the chair a very smooth, rocking motion.
- The seat is more comfortable than the average chair because they added a supportive wing, core foam filled the seat.
- It only requires minimal assembly before you can use it with your child.
- The Wingback is CPSIA and CPSC compliant, so you can feel safe using this rocking chair with your baby. It meets all necessary safety standards for baby products.
Parents can purchase the Hudson in a variety of colors. There will be something that matches your nursery! Featuring a weight capacity of 225 pounds, the overall dimensions are 37.75 inches high x 29.5 inches wide x 36.75 inches deep. The seat isn’t as wide as other choices, but you will have ample space to get comfortable while rocking your baby.
We just reviewed 12 of the top choices for the best nursery rocking chair. All of them are different, but they all offer a few similar qualities. They are comfortable for parents and child. We would never suggest a product that isn’t comfortable. All of the above suggested rocking chairs were reviewed by other parents and received high marks.
Now, what should you do? First, take a look at the options and determine which ones are the most visually appealing for you. Then, hold all of the contenders up to the criteria we mentioned at the beginning of the article. You want a durable, comfortable, easy to use the product. Find the choice that fits as many boxes as possible in your budget. Don’t feel as if you have to blow your budget because there are choices for everyone!
Do you have a favorite nursery rocking chair? If so, let us know about it in the comments!