Babies need almost constant attention. They rely on their parents for everything, so your arms will be full with a baby all the time. One solution you might want to try is purchasing one of the baby loungers on the market.
A baby lounger gives you a safe and comfortable place to put your baby when you are busy. As much as we all love holding our children, there are times when we need our hands-free. Cooking dinner is rather hard with arms full of a baby.
What is a Baby Lounger?
So, you are probably wondering what a baby lounger is. Even experienced parents may have never heard of one of these tools. A baby lounger is a pillow with a groove in the center, creating a safe place to sit your child. The groove doesn’t allow your child to roll or fall off of the baby lounger. There won’t be any straps or harnesses in most cases. A baby lounger is just a comfortable seat for your child to enjoy.
Pros and Cons of Using Baby Loungers
Every baby item has a positive reason to use it, but that doesn’t mean it is a great fit for every family. There are some pros to using a baby lounger, as well as negatives. So, let’s take a look.
- Hands-Free: the most obvious reason to use a baby lounger is that it frees up your hands. You have a safe and comfortable place to keep your baby as you cook dinner, take a shower, or whatever you need to do.
- Props Your Child Up: Babies like to see, but they have no neck support until older. Baby loungers put your baby at a slight angle, giving them a view around the room. Another great thing about keeping your baby propped up is that it aids in digestion and breathing. If your baby has acid reflux, it is necessary to keep him at an angle, especially after eating!
- Can Be Used Anywhere: Unlike a baby swing, you can take a lounger anywhere. All you need is a flat surface. You can put it on the floor or bed easily. There is no set up required. Baby loungers are portable as well. They are a bit bulky, but you can take a baby lounger to grandma’s house or anywhere throughout the house.
- Easy to Clean: Babies love to puke on anything and everything! Baby loungers are easy to clean because the fabric is removable in most circumstances. You can also do a surface clean if your baby happens to spit up on the lounger.
- Breastfeeding Help: Some baby loungers are useful for breastfeeding as well. Many mothers like to have a nursing pillow that props up their arm and baby, making breastfeeding easier and comfortable. You do need to read reviews. Not all baby loungers are ideal as a breastfeeding pillow.
- Only Used for a Short Time: The biggest negative is that you can only use a baby lounger for a short period. Once your baby can push himself up, you won’t be able to use it anymore.
- It is Another Purchase: It seems like parenting is a never-ending process of buying new baby gadgets and products. You are always buying something for the baby. A baby lounger is just one more thing to add to your growing collection. Soon, your house seems like a Babies R Us.
Remember – They’re Not for Sleeping
It is tempting to let your child sleep on a baby lounger. After all, they’re supposed to be comfortable and enjoyable. Babies tend to want to sleep when they’re comfortable.
Even though your child may enjoy being in his baby lounger, it is not suitable for a sleeping location. You might be tempted to put him there for nap time or leave him there once he falls asleep. However, it is a suffocation hazard. Also, you should never put your baby face down on the lounger!
The Best Baby Loungers
Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Lounger
Leachco is known for their pregnancy pillow, called the Snoogle. Their infant lounger has some of the best ratings on the market. The Leachco lounger has a few unique features that parents love.
First, the Podster has tabs that allow the parents the ability to create a custom fit. There are straps that create a cozier environment. It also makes the seat more secure for a smaller infant. At the same time, you can release the straps to wider the lounger for a larger, growing baby.
Parents love the adjustable strap to the Podster. It makes it safer to use with newborns because it creates a better head support. Another feature that parents love is that the cover can be removed for easy washing. Just take it off and put it into your washer. You will want to purchase a second cover because the inner-material is spot clean only. Every parent knows if you put a baby on that, he will have a blowout or puke on it!
You can purchase the Podster Lounger in four different color options: pink, blue, green or a green bear print. Most of them, aside from the pink, is gender neutral.
One negative you want to think about is that you won’t be able to use this baby lounger as a nursing pillow. Many mothers like to be able to use a nursing pillow to help prop up their arms for those late night feedings. The angle of the pillow will make breastfeeding difficult. So, if that is a major concern for you, the Leachco Lounger may not be the right choice for you.
Boppy Newborn Lounger
The Boppy Newborn Lounger is, without a doubt, one of the best choices. The price is right, and millions of mothers use it each year, including me! The first thing you will notice is that the Boppy has a lower price tag. If you are on a budget, that will matter. Another difference between the Boppy and Leachco is that there are dozens of different covers for your Boppy. You will be able to find a pattern or colors to match your nursery perfectly.
That brings us to one of the different features of the Boppy. The entire pillow is machine washable. So, instead of removing the cover, you just put the entire thing into the washing machine. The surface is easy to wipe down if your baby happens to have a blowout or spits up. The pillow is small enough to fit into the washer, which is different than other choices.
There is a handle for convenient carrying. It seems like a silly idea, but you can carry your baby and the Boppy at the same time. The handle is behind your baby’s head, so your curious child won’t be able to find it.
One thing that confuses many people is that Boppy Newborn Lounger is not meant for breastfeeding. However, they do make a breastfeeding pillow that is loved by most breastfeeding mothers. The shape and angle of the pillow make it harder to breastfeed with it. Of course, you could always try!
Snuggle Me Organic Infant Lounger
So, you have a bit more money to spend on your baby lounger. If so, the Snuggle Me Organic Infant Lounger is a luxurious choice made in the United States! Snuggle Me serves multiple purposes, which is different than other loungers. It doubles as a safe, co-sleeping pillow because it creates a cozy hammock effect. Your baby lays flat, but he is unable to roll or turn over when in the center of the lounger.
The Snuggle Me is fully machine washable, so just toss it into your washing machine if your baby decides to make a mess. The lounger contains no flame retardants, ethylene glycol, phthalates or BPA. You can feel confident when placing your baby in the Snuggle Me.
The materials for the Snuggle Me are the ultimate choices for comfort. The cushion fabric is made with 100% organic cotton and 100% cotton fleece. The cover is hand-made and removable. The interior of the pillow contains their signature hypo-allergenic, polyester fiber fill, which is why you can safely put it in the washing machine.
If you want a baby lounger that serves more than one purpose, the Snuggle Me is a fantastic choice. Plus, your baby will be laying in the lap of luxury!
DockATot Deluxe+ Dock
The DockATot is the ultimate choice for a baby lounger, with the most expensive price tag. It is for babies ages 0 to 8 months old. They also sell a Grand Tot if you want it for kids 9 to 36 months old!
The DockATot creates a comfortable spot for your baby to lounge, rest, do tummy time and more. Unlike other choices, it is safe for your baby to sleep in the DockATot. They created the DockATot with a raised tube design, breathable and hypoallergenic materials. It is a safe choice for co-sleeping parents. Make sure you do follow their Sleep Safety guidelines if you plan to co-sleep with it!
DockATot used safe materials for their baby lounger. It is washable, hypoallergenic and created with non-toxic properties. The materials contain no phthalates or heavy metals. Many parents claim that it is one of the best purchases they made as a parent. It works great for a newborn, creating a cozy environment. It is easy to clean and serves multiple purposes.
Hiccapop Day Dreamer Sleeper Baby Lounger Seat for Infants
One last choice for the best baby lounger is the Hiccapop Day Dreamer. As soon as you look at it, you realize it is unique when compared to the other choices on the list. The Day Dreamer acts as a sleeper, lounger, feeder and travel bed. It gives your baby the perfect place to sleep anytime and anywhere.
The Day Dreamer has a 28-degree incline that lifts your child’s head above his stomach level for a comfortable sleeping position. Sleeping at an incline decreases many discomforts associated with feedings such as acid reflux. The entire surface is soft with plush materials.
Hiccapop created their baby lounger with a soft, breathable, moisture-wicking cover. It allows your baby to breathe easily. The design reminds your child of being cradled in your arms. Parents use it while cooking down, exercising, doing computer work or more. The straps hold your baby safely in place, so you don’t need to worry that he will roll over. Day Dreamer also features a unique, one handed release that makes it easy for you to get your baby out.
How to Make Your Decision
These are just five of the awesome choices on the market for baby loungers. Each one is unique with features you may or may not like. If you need help making your decision, here are some factors to consider.
- Price: The most obvious difference between all of these baby loungers is the price. You can find them from $30 all the way up to $170. You have to find a comfortable price range for your budget.
- Co Sleeping Compatible: Do you co-sleep with your baby? If so, you might want a baby lounger that helps you co-sleep safely.
- Ease of Washing: Do you want to take off a cover and wash the lounger? Or, do you prefer just putting the whole thing in your washer?
- Style: Aside from the price, you will notice that the baby loungers are all different. The Leachco and Boppy are similar with pillow-style designs. The Day Dreamer is the only one that props your child up at the 28-degree angle permanently. The Snuggle Me and DockATot both act as co-sleeping pillows as well as baby loungers.
There is no right or wrong answer. The only thing that matters is what works best for your family. All five of these choices have great ratings and are loved by hundreds of parents for different reasons. Think about the answers to these decision making factors to find the perfect one for you.